Do’s and Dont’s for Contact Lens Wearers
- Do wash and rinse hands thoroughly with mild soap (Ivory or Neutrogena).
- Do use only the solutions our practice recommends.
- Do keep soft lenses wet at all times.
- Do remember to blink when reading, writing or using VDUs (Visual Display Units).
- Do keep all lens cases clean by rinsing with hot tap water.
- Do keep lens cases closed when they contain contact lenses.
- Do, If possible, carry lens case at all times.
- Do, when working over a sink, keep the drain closed or covered.
- Do use a lint-free towel
- Do not apply hand and facial cream, make-up, after-shave or cologne before inserting contact lenses. Insert contact lenses first then apply make-up. Remove contact lenses first and then remove make-up.
- Do not use eye drops such as Visine, Murine, etc. Saline solutions can be used.
- Do not wash face, shower or swim with contact lenses on. This may result in lost contact lenses. After swimming, wait the recommended times as follows to insert contact lenses: Fresh water – 15 minutes Salt Water – 30 minutes Pool – 2 hours. The wearing of tight goggles for swimming is recommended.
- Do not rub eyes, with or without contact lenses.
- Do not sleep with contact lenses unless prescribed by your Optometrist.
- Do not over-wear your contact lenses. You will be given a schedule to build up wearing time.
- Do not handle spicy foods (onions, garlic, peppers, etc) before handling contact lenses.
- Do not use aerosols (hair spray, paint oven cleaners, etc) with contact lenses on. If unavoidable, close eyes and walk away for at least 20 minutes.
All of the above instructions are important for the health and safety of your eyes. Please follow them carefully. If you have any questions, please call our practice.