Optometrists recommend eye protection for kids
Most Australian parents are well aware of the need to slop sunscreen and pop a hat on their child before going outdoors in summer, but not everyone knows the urgent need to stick a pair of sunnies on too.
UV radiation from the sun can cause significant damage to a child’s eyes and lead to serious eye conditions later in life, making the need for protection from an early age essential.
Dr Damon Ezekiel owner of Ezekiel Eyes warns that the risk to children’s eyes from sun exposure is significantly greater than for adults.
“Kids should definitely be wearing sunglasses anytime they are outdoors for a significant amount of time. Children are more sensitive to damage as the tissue in their eyes is more fragile, so wearing a hat simply isn’t enough,” he said.
“There are many conditions affecting the eyes that are related to UV exposure such as cataract, macular degeneration, pterygium (a fleshy growth over the front of the eye) and even eye cancers, so putting sunglasses on your kids should be part of your everyday sun protection routine.”
Dr Damon Ezekiel offers the following tips for parents:
- While don’t have to spend a fortune buying sunglasses for your children, do make sure you choose a pair with 100% UV protection.
- Novelty or toy sunglasses with coloured lenses don’t provide enough protection and so should be avoided.
- It’s never too early for children to wear sunglasses so get them in the habit of doing so while they’re young.
- It can often be difficult for children to keep them on their faces, so consider buying sunglasses with an elasticated band around the back. This also reduces the risk of them getting lost.
- If older children are having trouble wearing sunglasses then the next best thing is a broad brimmed hat that provides some shade for the eyes – do however note that hats only stop around 50 per cent of UV rays.
- For young babies, a cover over their pram will help protect their skin and eyes from the sun’s rays.
- If in doubt, visit your optometrist for expert advice on caring for your children’s eyes.
“Getting kids in the habit of wearing sunglasses early can make a massive difference to their vision and eye health over the course of their lifetime,” he said.
For further information please contact Ezekiel Eyes or Book an appointment today.
How Do I Get Started?
Call (08) 9386 3620 or book online